Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Year of the Spear!

     Every year I try and consolidate my hobby activities, focusing on one or two games or projects. I am not always so successful at this. However, with so little time and resources available to me these days to set aside for the hobby, I have little choice, really.



     This year I am delving into a subject that is just as dear to me - if not more so - as that of the Napoleonic Wars. I say this because it was quite literally the very first historical period I ever collected models for and attempted to play: the Greek and Persian Wars! That effectively makes this the 'Year of the Spear', in my mind.

http://www.thewargamespot.com/introducing-clash-of-spears/

     I owe much of my inspiration to the upcoming rules, Clash of Spears. These detailed skirmish rules look and sound very promising, and look to be exactly what I have been looking for in a set of small battle rules - small number of figures, condensed playing area, detailed combat and command mechanics, unit based, no gimmicky game mechanics, and lots of potential for expansion. These rules have given me an excuse to collect those fantastic Victrix models I have been drooling over for years now! These rules are due to be published late 2019. Check the rules out on The Wargame Spot blog.

     Of course, small battles/skirmishes are not the only direction I am taking this year. I have finally gotten around to reading one of my favorite sets of rules ever - DBMM! I say this having only ever played DBA and DBM. I have always found DBx rules to be some of the most realistic and fun games I have ever played - and the rules highlight many of the things I look for in any set of rules. There is something to be said for a set of rules that can be used with no alteration to represent a battle involving land, sea, and siege forces all at once. This is a big reason I love Phil Barker's designs. 

"DBMM version 2.1 offers an advanced rule system for the discerning wargamer seeking historical accuracy as well as a fast and exciting game." -- Phil Barker; DBMM.


     The navel side of the era also is something I am greatly interested in. So many fond memories from back in the day, playing trireme battles on my floor with home-made ships - made out of cardboard! Back then I used the rules and ideas from the book, Sea Battles in Miniature, by Paul Hague, to fight my battles. I later moved on to other well known rules such as Bireme & Galley, Naumachiae, and even the latest rules by Osprey, Poseidon's Warriors. I have even been tinkering around with my own set of rules which may one day be published - we shall see. Regardless, the navel side of this period has always been of great interest to me, and will play a role in this ancients revival of mine.

     So there it is, the 'Year of the Spear!' in a nutshell. I will be painting up reinforcements for my various 15mm armies, adding some 28mm Greeks for skirmish battles, and modeling ancient navel ships - all for my planned campaigns this year. I haven't been this excited since I first got into the hobby; great fun indeed! 


Some of my Polybian Romans for DBA.
     I have other games and projects going on as well this year: new boardgames, Pathfinder 2e, Kill Team/40k, my Napoleonics in 18mm, and plenty of WWII. More on these in the coming weeks and months. For now, let us sharpen our spears, polish our shields, and consult the great Oracle of Delphi... battle awaits!

     Questions on this project? What are your experiences with DBMM? What is your favorite era to collect and wargame? How about navel wargaming?



     Until next time,

~Fritz


2 comments:

  1. Very pleased to see you are stoked by the new rule set, but at the same time not abandoning your other projects. Favourite era for me has to ACW, challenged strongly by ECW and Wars of the Roses. Never played a naval game, odd considering my background. However, Pre-Dreadnoughts up to and including WW1 does appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ian. I really am enjoying reading up on the various campaigns, rules, and battles. I am pretty excited to get back to this after so long away from it. Oh... been looking over Jutland, by Avalanche Press Games. Safe to say it would be a good game to play online right out of the box. I'll let ya know about this. Good dreadnought fun. Anyway, thanks for the comment and answers to my questions.

      ~K

      Delete